Thank you for your interest in volunteering.
Volunteers enhance the quality of life in Mt. Lebanon by contributing their time and talents to many community programs and events. Without the help of volunteers, it would be impossible for the municipality or community non-profit organizations to deliver many of the services that make Mt. Lebanon a great place to live and work. To explore community opportunities, please click the Hometown Helpers button to the right.
Municipal Volunteer Opportunities
Under the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law, volunteers (age 18 and older) having routine interaction with children are required to obtain and submit background clearances.
To obtain Clearances electronically:
State Police Clearance:
Volunteers use service code 1KG6ZJ
Employees use service code 1KG756
Then visit: https://uenroll.identogo.com/
Child Abuse History Clearance:
For more information on clearances:
Note: Effective July 25, 2015 the PSP background clearance and the Child Abuse History clearance fees will be waived for volunteers working with children. This applies only to volunteers. Volunteer clearances are not valid for employment purposes.
Here are some ways volunteers can help.
For more information about specific volunteer opportunities, click on any of the links below.
- Boards and Authorities
- Commercial Districts (Partnership) Projects/Events
- Uptown Farmers Market: Help the market's independent contractor make the market the best it can be by developing best practices, attract top notch vendors, engage Mt. Lebanon business participation and expand the market beyond selling food by adding entertainment and other attractions.
- First Fridays: Help secure sponsorships, provide ideas to keep the event dynamic and interesting, help get Mt. Lebanon businesses involved and staff information table.
- Mt. Lebanon Artists' Market: Procure sponsorships, increase local business involvement, attract vendors, help with raffles, staff Plein Air Paint Out booth.
- Block Party: Help with sponsorships, marketing, event planning and assist with setup, tear down and staffing of tables during event.
- Recreation Department - Mt. Lebanon Recreation Department has hundreds of volunteer opportunities every year.
- Basketball, Hockey and Soccer Coaches: Teach kids about good sportsmanship and what it means to honor the game. Head and assistant coaching positions to lead kids preschool through eighth grade in practices and games.
- Club Lebo: Assist with supervising middle school students as they have fun hanging out with friends and engaging in activities such as sports, music, games or swimming. Monthly events are held on Friday evenings at Jefferson Middle School, Mellon Middle School, the Mt. Lebanon High school indoor pool and the Mt. Lebanon Outdoor Swim Center.
- Maintenance and Cleaning Projects: For those who don’t mind getting their hands dirty, consider assisting with weeding, cleaning, painting and other special projects at the recreation center, swimming pool, tennis center or golf course.
- Ski Chaperones: Supervise middle school students on the bus and at Hidden Valley Resort on weekly Saturday ski trips.
- Special Events Support: Assist with all aspects of our exciting special events like the Egg Hunt, July 4 Celebration, Pumpkin Patch Parade and the Father/Son Campout. Jobs include set up, clean up, supervision of games and activities and wearing costumes and performing as a mascot.
- Summer Camp Volunteers: Assist staff with games and activities supervising youth campers in preschool through eighth grade.
- Mt. Lebanon Public Library
- Volunteer Fire Company
For general questions about volunteering, please call the Mt. Lebanon Public Information Office, 412-343-3780. For questions regarding volunteer opportunities at the Recreation Department, please call 412-343-3409.
There are currently more than 100 volunteers serving on 17 boards and authorities. The responsibilities, powers, terms of office, membership size and meeting schedules vary for each board and authority. Visit the Boards and Authority pages for descriptions. If you are interested in applying please fill out the Board and Authority Application.