Permit Applications & Ordinances

Building Permit Requirements

Do not proceed with work without a permit. If work proceeds without a permit, the owner may be subject to fines determined by the district magistrate. A permit shall be obtained before beginning construction, alteration, replacing or repairing an existing structure. If you have any questions regarding the requirement of a building permit, the permit process, applications or Fee Schedule, please call the Inspection Office Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 412-343-3408.


The Building Permit Application Process

Applications for various permits can be downloaded from this website or may be obtained from the Mt. Lebanon Customer Service Center, 710 Washington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15228 between 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. You may also drop off completed applications and the required documents at this location.

Read the application thoroughly and carefully, and follow the instructions.

Zoning permits and some construction projects require a property survey. A property survey is a certified dimensioned drawing of property and improvements on the property. The Mt. Lebanon Inspection Office does not have surveys for each property. We only obtain them when they have been required for a permit and in which the property owner has provided it. Older permit plans are kept off site. There is a charge to recall a box from storage. There is no guarantee that the information requested will be in the file when delivered. It is also possible that the survey requested may not be legible or detailed enough for your proposed project.

Generally residential building permits can be issued within fifteen (15) business days and commercial permits within thirty (30) days. Zoning permits (e.g., air conditioning unit, driveway, fence, shed) are issued within thirty (30) days. Once the building or zoning inspector reviews and approves the application, you will be notified by phone that the permit is ready and the total amount due. The permit and a copy of the approved plans can then be picked up at the customer service center on the first floor of the municipal building between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Payment can be made by Visa, MasterCard, the exact change in cash or a check made out to Mt Lebanon, PA.


If your construction project requires the use of a dumpster, placing it on the street requires a permit; please call Police / Traffic Division at 412-343-4086 for details. Placing a dumpster on your property does not require a permit. Dumpsters shall not encroach onto any municipal sidewalk.

Permit Application Information

  •  Building Permit - Residential Application
  • Building Permit - Commercial Application
  • Certificate of Occupancy and Use Application
    A Certificate of Occupancy is required for any of the following:
    • Any change in use of a nonconforming use
    • Change in use of an existing building
    • Occupancy and use of a building hereafter erected or enlarged (ex. additions, four season enclosed porch)

    No occupancy of a building shall take place until a Certificate of Occupancy is issued. In a case of undue hardship, the administrator may issue a temporary or partial Certificate of Occupancy for any building or structure, provided the administrator finds that the site development requirements are essentially completed, but that due to unavoidable delays, they cannot be entirely completed as required in a reasonable time.
  • Demolition Permit Application
    A Demolition Permit is required for commercial or residential demolitions. Prior to obtaining the permit, written release from all utility companies that services have been disconnected is required and, where applicable, an asbestos exemption / abatement certificate shall also be required.
  • Driveway/Parking Pad Permit Application
    For a new or replacing a driveway you will need a Driveway/Parking Pad Permit. Consider the benefits of permeable pavement when adding parking areas. Two copies of your property survey marked where the driveway is located is also required. For further information, contact the Zoning Officer at 412-343-3468.
  • Fence Permit Application
    A Fence Permit is required for a new fence or replacing one. In addition to the application, provide two copies of your property survey indicating the area to be fenced.

    The zoning ordinance regulates the height of fencing. In single-family residential districts, fences up to six feet are permitted in side and rear yards. Fences are not permitted in front yards. No solid fences are permitted. Shadowbox fences up to four feet in height are permitted. Other styles of fences are also permitted. A fence can be erected on the property line. Additional fence regulations can be found in Section 808, Chapter XX. For further information, call the Zoning Officer at 412-343-3468.
  • Front Porch/ Stairs
    • (Info to come)
  • Grading Permit Application
  • Health Club - Massage License Permit Application
  • Home Occupation Application
    A Home Occupation Permit is required before a home occupation can begin operation. Mt. Lebanon Municipality allows home occupations in residential zoning districts. A home occupation is an occupation or business activity which results in a product or service and is conducted in part of a dwelling unit.
  • Mechanical Permit Application
  • Patios
    • (Info to come)
  • POD Permit Application
  • Pool Installation Permit Application
    A Pool Installation Permit is required for all above ground and in-ground swimming pools. Along with the application, provide two copies of your property survey showing the location of the pool. A fence permit may be required. Any questions regarding your specific project, contact the building inspector at 412-343-3468. View the State Code requirements. An electrical permit and inspections are obtained and preformed by Middle Department Inspection Agency at 1-800-362-6342. 2014 (NFPA 70) National Electric Code
  • Porch Enclosures
    • (Info to come)
  • Kitchen/ Bathroom Remodels
    • (Info to come)
  • Residential New Construction
    • (Info to come)
  • Retaining Walls
    Retaining walls greater than two feet in height require a Building Permit. Walls greater than four feet in height require engineering drawings. With the application, submit two copies of your property survey marked with the location of the wall.
    • (Info to come)
  • Sign Permit Application
    All new or modified signs, even painted signs, require a Sign Permit. Illuminated signs also require an electrical permit. The municipality's zoning code limits the number and sizes of signs allowed. If you have any specific questions about sign regulations, please call 412-343-3475.

    Temporary signs require a permit from the Inspections Office. Flotation devices are not allowed as signs. Temporary window signs do not need permits, but may not cover more than 25 percent of the area of each window.

    Signs shall not be placed on any public or private sidewalk. No sign shall physically or visually obstruct or impede pedestrian or vehicular movement. Signs shall not be placed on any fence, telephone pole or traffic control device.

    Real estate open house signs may be placed in the right of way as follows: Open house directional signs shall be permitted, not exceeding 3 square feet in area and 30 inches in height. Such signs shall be placed in public view only on the day of the open house and no sooner than one hour before the open house. Such signs must be removed no later than one hour after the conclusion of the open house. Only one sign per intersection is allowed for each open house. Open house direction signs may be placed on private property with the property owner's permission, or on unpaved, unlandscaped or unimproved public right of way areas. Such signs shall not impede or obstruct vehicular or pedestrian traffic and shall not obstruct motor vehicle drivers' free and clear vision of other vehicles or traffic signals and signs.
  • Sump Pumps/ Interior Drain Systems
    • (Info to come)
  • Solar Panels
    • (Info to come)
  • Wall Anchors/ Push Piers
    • (Info to come)
  • Zoning Application
  • Appearing before the Zoning Hearing Board