- Public Works
Garbage and recycling may be placed at the curb after 6 p.m. the evening before regular pickup and should be placed at curb no later than 6 a.m. on the day of collection. For a listing of what is acceptable for pickup, please click on the link below.
Download the Garbage and Recycling Schedule with street listing.
Reporting a Missed Pick-up
Garbage Pick-Up Guidelines
- Place all containers at curbside by 6 a.m. on your pick-up day. Secure garbage in containers that weigh no more than 50 pounds. Items to be recycled must be in containers with the Mt. Lebanon recycling sticker on the outside.
- Bag your grass clippings and place them with your regular trash, not in the gutter. Grass clipping placed in the gutters can end up in storm sewers, causing backups during heavy rains. Bags should not weight more than 50 pounds.
- Hedge cuttings, limbs and branches - PA Act 101 prohibits these materials from inclusion in the waste stream, and recommends that they be composted. The waste hauler has been instructed not pick it up so don't set it out with your garbage and instead take it to the drop-off at the Mt. Lebanon Golf Course, on the first Saturday of the month, April through October. Call us with questions at (412) 343-3403.
- Empty paint cans and/or dried paint may be placed at curbside. Paint can be air-dried or soaked up with newspaper or kitty litter. The collector will not accept paint cans with lids on.
- Furniture, appliances, household goods and disassembled children's swing sets will be accepted at curbside. Swing sets must be bundled and tied in four foot lengths and should not exceed 40 pounds per bundle. Carpets should be tied and bundled in lengths not to exceed 48 inches so that one man can lift.
- The contractor will collect such items as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers and water coolers only if the item has a sticker certifying that the refrigerant has been removed. Items that do not have the sticker will not be picked up because it is unlawful for the contractor to dispose of anything containing refrigerant. For a list of companies that remove refrigerant, call the public works department at (412) 343-3403. To avoid paying refrigerant removal costs, it is suggested that residents have the company delivering the new appliance dispose of the old appliance. Appliance Warehouse collects items with Freon. Call (888) GO FREON / (888) 463-7366.
- The contractor will not pickup construction debris.
Garbage Limitations: When the amount of garbage, rubbish and residential refuse exceeds fifteen (15) bags and/or bulky waste exceeds two (2) items, this shall constitute a special collection and the contractor shall furnish, when requested in advance by the resident, a special collection and removal of those items. A resident who requests such a special collection shall place the items at the curb for collection. This special collection service shall constitute a separate contractual arrangement between the Resident and the Contractor at a price to be set forth by the Contractor to the Resident at the time the special collection is requested, billable by the Contractor to the Resident and payable by the Resident directly to the Contractor.
Backyard Collection Service
Waste Management will provide backyard collection service for a fee. This service is limited to four cans of general household refuse plus recycling containers. Grass clippings, tree limbs, furniture and appliances, etc., will be picked up at the curb only. Residents may request backyard service directly from our contractor.
Items Not Allowed
The following items will not be picked up:
- Ashes from furnaces
- Automobile parts including tires
- Liquid paint
- Electronics, Televisions - any electronic device
- New Year's Day (no delay in 2023)
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If you have questions, call Mt. Lebanon’s Public Works Department at (412) 343-3403.
Mt. Lebanon’s Trash/Recycling Hauler